[Groff] Strange gxditview behavior

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: [Groff] Strange gxditview behavior
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:40:47 -0500

System:  LinuxPPC 2000, 2.2.18 kernel, XFree 3.3.6, KDE 1.1.2

Groff-1.16.1 compiled without a hitch; all software installs
should be so smooth. :-)  I only run into trouble when using
gxditview. Using the command:

        groff -stp -mm -X somefile.mm

Brings up gxditview, but the output is horrid. Pages break in
weird places, fonts change size spontaneously, most tables are
foobar, and forget about the pics. I get much better results
using:

        groff -stp -mm -TX75 somefile.mm

But in both cases, the "thumbs" in scroll bars look terribly
eroded, and it spits up a blank first page that shouldn't be
there. My first thought was an endian problem, but I have no
idea of what to look for in the code.

I get great results using GhostView on the PS output, but
gxditview is almost blindingly fast. For that matter, so is
groff -- it takes about 3 seconds to convert my friend's
table-laden manual (136 pages) to PostScript. I would have
killed for a system like this in 1985, when I used nroff for
a living, but that's another story....

On a completely different note, who's maintaining the manual
nowadays? Is anyone trying to convert it to groff? (It seems
a bit strange that one would write a groff manual in texedit.)

        Larry