[Groff] Re: SGR implementation in groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: SGR implementation in groff
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 02:03:01 +0200 (CEST)

> The only attribute where this principle might be problematic
> visually is the background colour, which groff probably should not
> touch for that reason.  Background colour changes would not affect
> the space between the last graphic character of a line and the right
> margin.

It's not clear to mean what you mean exactly.  Please explain.  For
example,

  ^[[41mThis is
  red background^[[49m

if sent to xterm (`-version' gives `XFree86 4.0(129)' for me) doesn't
fill the first line up to the right margin with red background.  Only
`less -R' does.  Which one is the correct behaviour?

> With SGR man, it would also be very nice to have italic support in
> xterm.  The fonts are already there and emacs can do it already.

This will be supported (as an alternative to underlining).