Re: [Groff] man pages for macro packages

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] man pages for macro packages
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:25:10 +0000

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 11:46:01PM +0100, Bernd Warken wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:44:26PM -0800, Redman Jack wrote:
> > And if someone types
> >
> >     # man man
> >
> > he would most likely get man(1) and not man(7) if
> > groff_man(7) were renamed to man(7).
>
> You are absolutely right.  man(7) is obsessed anyway.

Heh. :) I'm not convinced about the Man-Page mini-HOWTO in places
either, particularly the recommendations it makes about filesystem
structures for locale-specific man pages (although that's not strictly
an issue for this list).

> You can find them in the ./doc subdirectory of the groff source package.
> There are 2 files, meintro.me and meref.me.
> You can read them e.g. with the shell command
>
> groff -me -TX100 meintro.me | gxditview

'| gxditview' is redundant there, because groff will run it itself.

> or
>
> groff -me -Tlatin1 meref.me | less
>
> Unfortunately, they are not installed by default.  I think we should
> make them installed
> 1) as .me with a README how to read them and a shell script for xdit'ing
> 2) as .html's with an index.html
> 3) maybe all man-pages and the info file should be html'ed as well
> 4) it could be good to put all of these extra documents in a package of
>    its own, groff_doc.

Actually doc/Makefile does appear to build the -me documentation, the
pic documentation, and the homepage by default; the fact that the Debian
packages (if those are what you're using) don't contain them is entirely
my fault. I'll rectify that.

'make install' in the top-level source directory doesn't touch the
documentation though, of course.

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden