Re: [Groff] me docs

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] me docs
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:36:39 +0100 (CET)

> To ease the usage of the me documents, I propose to add the following
> line to both documents.
>
> .if d++ .mso me.tmac

You mean

  .if !d ++ .mso me.tmac

don't you?  Anyway, this isn't necessary at all, the following

  .mso me.tmac

is sufficient since the me package itself tests whether it has been
loaded already (by checking whether the `pf' register has been
defined).  I've just added similar guards to the me, man, and mdoc
macro packages.

> Then -me need not be provided on the command line, just calling
> `groff -X meintro.me' would be enough.

I like the idea.  Probably the only reason why other documents don't
do this by default is the missing `.mso' request in Unix troff.
Contrary to, say, TeX, there is no dumped macro package in groff which
could speed up the loading of the macro package, so I can't see any
disadvantage.

The question is whether man pages should use this mechanism also --
probably an overkill since `man' handles this properly.