Re: [Groff] inconsistency between .R and \*R in man.tmac

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] inconsistency between .R and \*R in man.tmac
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:10:13 +0100

> >   .fp 1 R NewCenturySchlbk-Roman
> >
> > and from then on both \f1 and \fR would refer to the same font.
>
> Indeed, but this is a groff extension Clarke is probably not aware of.

No, this is a feature clearly explained in the Troff User's Manual,
which groff happens to implement correctly.

> An even better way is to use styles and families to fully avoid direct
> handling of font positions.  Of course, this is another groff
> extension.

This is not really necessary.  I think it's okay if the macros
refer to fonts by number (at least, that's how I do it), and
the user uses macros like ".I" that do all the work and provide
the italic font consistent with the base font.