Re: [Groff] Rendering \(oq in ASCII and ISO 8859-1

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Rendering \(oq in ASCII and ISO 8859-1
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 02:05:25 +0100 (CET)

> > What exactly is a `shame'?
>
> Quotes being displayed like this:
>
>   http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~cjwatson/groff-quotes.png

I must say that fonts which have such `quotes' really force the user
to use Unicode.  From a typographical point of view I fully agree that
it is ugly.  But 'foo' as a substitute for `foo' is simply not
acceptable to me in many situations.  For example, think of a man page
documenting Lisp.  `(...) and '(...) are completely different things.