Re: [Groff] Bugs in mm, accents, multi-line macros and font glyphs

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bugs in mm, accents, multi-line macros and font glyphs
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 03:07:18 +0100 (CET)

> And that's where I have a little beef. Wether we like it or not, the
> fonts used by the PS driver are the "LaserWriter 35 fonts" that have
> prebuilt glyphs for most accented characters used in Western Europe
> (and you can even write Finnish with them ;). Considering that groff
> made do with the 7-bit limitation of old troff and ditroff, I
> thought that groff had already an internal mechanism to map the
> accent macros to the actual font glyphs.

It's very easy to use the real composite glyphs with the \[..]
mechanism, e.g. \[,C] for Ccedilla.  And you can easily define new
glyphs with the .char request, as Ted has pointed out.  Nevertheless,
it is not possible to change the postfix macros of both ms and mm to
do that -- groff has no possibility to remove glyphs already
processed, and the concept of `active characters' (to use TeX's
parlance) is not known to groff.