Re: [Groff] Printing everything on 1 page

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Printing everything on 1 page
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:02:03 -0000 (GMT)

On 11-Jan-02 Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>>      I'm using groff-1.17.2 under a Linux 2.4.x system with the mm
>>      macro package.  I'm using the command:
>>
>>              groff -Tps -pst -mm infile.mm > outfile.ps
>>
>>      to generate a PostScript file.  The file looks fine on screen
>>      in ghostview.  However, when I print it to a PostScript printer,
>>      every page gets overprinted onto a single sheet of paper as
>>      though the PostScript showpage operator were never being called.
>>
>>      In looking at the generated PostScript, "EP" is defined for End
>>      Page: it contains a showpage.  Hence, it's not clear why it's
>>      doing what it's doing.
>
> The only idea which come to my mind is a comparison between a
> PS document which prints OK and groff's PS output.  There was never a
> report like yours until now.

My immediate suspicion points at the printer: I never heard of
this before either!

However, in order to test the "printability" by looking at a
screen view, I would suggest not ghostview or gv (which look
at the DSC comments and therefore can infer page breaks without
interpreting the PostScript code), but rather "raw" ghostscript
on the lines of

  gs postscriptfile.ps

If this still shows over-printing then we have a problem, Houston.
In that case, you should send us a smallish PS file[*] produced
by your groff which has this problem, together with the groff
source text, so that we can try to diagnose it.

[*] You can make one of these by having a few lines on each
    page, forcing the page breaks with ".bp"

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972