Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:24:38 +0100 (CET)

> And as groff ms is based on BSD 4.3 ms minus UCB's thesis mode, and
> BSD ms is AT&T ms enhanced and without the office and budget code
> beaurocratic stuff used at Bell Labs...

In case groff ms lacks some features it might be even worth to
implement them...

> > > And... What about a list of the out-of-the-box accents and
> > > symbols and how to type them? Something like a groff_symbols.7
> > > man page. (I might be willing to write it myself, notice the use
> > > of non-commital future tense).

You mean groff_char(7)?

> > That should also be added to groff.texinfo -- I think there's a
> > placeholder section for it, but it hasn't been written yet.

Yes.  groff_char(7) should be translated to texinfo.

sed /s/<your favourite escape>/@/   :-)

> > For that matter, all *roffs are missing a definition for the
> > ellipses (...) -- I sent a further groff_ms.man patch to Werner
> > that contains a definition:
> >
> > .ie |\*(.T|ps| .char \(el \fS\N'188'
> > .el .char \(el .\|.\|.\&
>
> Hmm... I just saw and the native ellipsis is not there in the PS
> metrics files. I suppose that's "by design".

It's a rather useless glyph IMHO.

> > Only the PostScript S (Symbol) fonts have it defined. Seeing how
> > it's used in the Synopsis of most manpages, it really ought to be
> > more readily available.
>
> I think they should come from the actual text font,

Exactly.

> but considering the situation, that's better than nothing.

The following should do it perfectly:

No need to access glyph 188 of the special font.

If you all agree, I'll add it to troff.rc -- what about using the
entity name `ell' which is probably more mnemonic?