Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man

From: Stewart C. Russell
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:33:18 +0000

Rick Richardson wrote:

> This seems relevent:
>
> http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/eduweb/grammar/course/punctuation/3_5.htm

It cites MLA, which is still very typewriter-based.

> Query Google "ellipsis at the end of a sentence" for more references.

most of the top hits I've looked at are a straight lift from MLA, and
thus typographically-challenged.

The style guide that many of us reckon is just about bearable (The
Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/styleguide/) says an ellipsis should
be a non-break space, followed by an ellipsis character, followed by a
non-break space. Doesn't say anything about one at the end of a
sentence.

--
Stewart C. Russell              Senior Analyst Programmer
address@hidden  Collins Dictionaries