Re: [Groff] Understanding the ms macros

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Understanding the ms macros
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 07:04:38 -0500

Graham Ashton wrote:

> Is there a definitive set of docs for the ms macros? I've been trawling
> round the web and read the groff_ms man page but haven't found anything
> that seems definitive.
>
> I'm trying to find out what commands the ms package makes available, and
> how to go about modifying things like page margins, etc. when using the
> ms package.

To modify page margins, the easy way is to set the PO and LL
registers at the beginning of your document. There is no
specific right-margin setting; ms derives the right margin
from the combination of PO (left margin) and LL (line width).

        .\" 6.5 inch line with with 1 inch margins
        .nr PO 1i
        .nr LL 1i

I completely rewrote groff_ms.7 not long ago; it has the info
you're looking for. You can get it from the CVS version of
groff, or email me off-list and I'll send you a copy.

If that doesn't have what you're looking for, let me know.
I want groff_ms to be definitive.

--
Larry Kollar   k o l l a r  at  a l l t e l . n e t
"Content creators are the engine that drives value in the