Re: [Groff] Questions about groff

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Questions about groff
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 14:44:09 -0400

On Sat, May 04, 2002, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> >         * Writing letters.  We don't do many letters, but it would
> >           be nice, and I would think that this is probably one of
> >           the more common uses for groff.
>
> Maybe others can comment on this.

The mom macro set, available at

    http://www.ncf.ca/~df191/mom.html

includes macros for writing letters.  The documentation includes a
tutorial on letter writing, as well as a short sample demonstrating the
macros in action.  In conjuction with the .pso request (to generate
the correct date, with, say date "+%B %d, %Y") it's possible to set
up address files that can be sourced (with .so) at the top of letters.
(Note that if you use the .pso request, you must give groff the -U
option or .pso won't work.)

If you download the current release of mom (mom-1.1.1), please also
download and apply the patches included on the web page, which correct
small bugs that directly affect the formatting/output of letters.

--
PTPi
Peter Schaffter

A confirmed GNU/Linuxer. Sorry, I don't do Windows.