Re: [Groff] groff documentation?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff documentation?
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 22:49:04 +0200 (CEST)

> Hi all.  I'm new to the list -- I hope it's okay if I open
> a new (and very mundane) subject...

Please do so!  Any opinion and question regarding groff and friends is
welcome.

> I've been troff'ing for years but am new to groff.  Any suggestions
> about doc to read for getting started fast?  I did find the groff
> guide online and the man pages and I'm sure I can figure it out.  I
> would love to have a printed reference summary of the macros if
> there is such a thing, and I'm quite willing to buy a book.

A complete reference of GNU troff is contained in the groff texinfo
manual (other parts are still incomplete).  Please get the current
snapshot from

  ftp://ftp.ffii.org/pub/groff/devel/groff-current.tar.gz

Say `./configure', then change into the `doc' directory and say either
`make groff.html' or `make groff.dvi' or `make groff.pdf'.  You'll
need texinfo 4.2 for creating groff.html, TeX for groff.dvi, and
pdfTeX for groff.pdf.

> Any pointers much appreciated.  And if there are any known
> outages in the groff documentation, I do have a bit of time
> on my hand so maybe I can help.

I would be glad if you can proof-read groff.texinfo -- since I'm not
a native English speaker I expect some bad English.  In case you
don't understand parts of the documentation, or in case something is
missing, please report this also so that we can fix it.