[Groff] Re: latest grohtml patches

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Groff] Re: latest grohtml patches
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 08:33:00 +0100

Hi Werner,

I wrote

Werner writes:

> Really?  I thought that the values for a column width (given as a
> percentage value of the line width) are absolute, and a browser will
> simply wrap the text into a new line if it is too wide.  Please give a
> simple example so that I can understand what you exactly mean.

I think that if the column contains a single word then it will
expand a column if the word does not fit. For example:

Here is a snippet from groff_www.html, the first version is broken as
the width for the column which contains "MTO" is (I think) to narrow.
Thus my browser makes the "MTO" fit into this column by widening it.
This then causes subsequent paragraphs to be misaligned.  The second
copy of this file, I've increased the percentage for the "MTO" column
by reducing the percentage of the width column. The result is much
improved.

Also grohtml does contain some rounding errors when computing these
(but in these examples I've fixed those by hand to illustrate the
problem).

Gaius

<head>
<title>GROFF_WWW</title>
</head>

<h1 align=center>GROFF_WWW</h1>
<hr>

       cols="4" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

The first argument is mandatory as the email address. The
optional second argument is the text you see in your
browser, and an optional third argument is stuff printed
immediately afterwards. Hyphenation is disabled while
printing the actual email address. For example,
the following macro:</font></p>
<!-- INDENTATION -->
       cols="2" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<!-- INDENTATION -->
       cols="2" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
treated as consuming no textual space in groff. This could
be considered as a bug since it causes some problems. To
circumvent this, <b>www.tmac</b> inserts a zero-width
character which expands to a harmless space (only if run
<hr>