[Groff] Re: experimental multibyte support

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: experimental multibyte support
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 10:02:49 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm developing multibyte support based on Japanese patch now.

Very good!  Hopefully, you can assist during the transition to
Unicode.

>  - \[u<code>] support, where code is unicode.
>    So, you can write \[u3042] for `HIRAGANA LETTER A'

Uh, oh, please be careful.  \[...] are glyph entities, not input
character codes.  Please read the article

  Re: [Groff] Some thoughts on glyphs

from Aug. 26th in the mailing list archive how I will support Unicode
on the glyph side.

>  - some changes in font/* files
>    + DESC has fontset directive
>    + font file can have code range after charset
>    + font/devps/<font> can have encodingname.
>       (for example,see font/devps/M.proto, it make it possible to
>        produce right Japanese postscript even if ja_JP.UTF-8 locale)

What about kinsoku shori and shibuaki?  This shouldn't be hardcoded.
We need some requests for it -- the font files are the wrong place
since both features are font independent.