Re: [Groff] groff man page blank

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff man page blank
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:40:02 +0100 (CET)

From: Zoong PHAM <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:07:40 +1100

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 08:20:19PM +0100, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> > I "solved" the problem by simply providing preformatted
> > manual pages for all groff-related stuff:

> > for file in man/man*/*
> > do
> >   name=`basename $file`
> >   sec=`echo $name | cut -d. -f2`
> >   groff -man-old -Tascii $file >/usr/local/man/cat$sec/$name
> > done
> >
> > (We install programs each in their own directories, and
> > then simply create symbolic links from /usr/local/bin,
> > /usr/local/man/man*, etc. to the files in those installation
> > directories.  Then I can call the above routine in the groff
> > installation directory and be sure it involves only groff's
> > manual pages.)
>
> I get these errors when run the above routine in the installation
> directory:
> Any idea?
>
> # ksh fix_man.sh
> man/man1/ggrn.1:136: warning [p 1, 7.0i]: cannot adjust line

This indicates ugly output.  You can suppress the warning with the
switch `-W break'.

> man/man1/ggrn.1:511: warning: can't find special character `'e'

You use the -Tascii output device instead of -Tlatin1 (or -Tutf8), and
there is no `é' in ASCII.  Perhaps you can change that in your script.

> man/man1/mmroff.1:28: warning: can't find character with input code 246
> man/man1/mmroff.1:28: warning: can't find character with input code 228

This is `Jörgen Hägg' -- again, due not using -Tlatin1, some input
characters aren't found.