Re: [Groff] Re: pic extension

From: Hartmut Henkel
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: pic extension
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:57:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Bill,

(everyone has been warned, so it's ok :-)

the immediate advantage of the new feature is obvious; IMHO it just can
easily be abused, and there are trapdoors. You are safe.

To avoid the distortion by PIC code in the TeX source, you could also
use soelim -t to include the PIC sections from external .pic files, and
you can also say \newbox \figA \newbox \figB .PS ... .PE \setbox \figA =
\box \graph .PS ... .PE \setbox \figB = \box \graph and then you can
proceed with \figA and \figB boxes as intended... But this needs
definitely more typing than your figname solution.

Hopefully the figname mechanism is useful also on the groff side, to
stay compatible with all worlds.

Have fun!

Hartmut

P. S. If you want to include PIC sections in pdftex, use ConTeXt or see
my homepage for an awk conversion script :-)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, William J Poser wrote:

> I agree that one wouldn't want to define a lot of different figures
> without reusing the boxes and that warnings are desirable...

Dr.-Ing. Hartmut Henkel
Oftersheim, Germany
E-Mail: address@hidden
http://www.circuitwizard.de