[Groff] escaping punctuation in mdoc pages

From: jmc
Subject: [Groff] escaping punctuation in mdoc pages
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:16:42 +0200

Hi,
I've been having a look at the new mdoc stuff in groff, and I'm really
confused about when punctuation needs to be escaped, and when not.

I take it that it's *not* necessary in the body of text, only within
macros? Is it necessary within a display (.Bd)?

Also take the following examples:

        .Pa .file
        .Pa /
        .Pa /root
        .Dq !?foo?^ !$
        ^lb^lib
        ?foo?
        .Ic !la

I have no idea which parts of these macros need escaping, and which
don't. I would really appreciate it if someone could escape these
properly for me, as a basis to work from. (You can probably tell I'm
working on a shell page.)

One more point: is there a difference between "\-1" and "\&-1"? Are
these both correct ways to represent minus, or is it possible they could
format differently?

groff_mdoc(7) is not very helpful about what to do here, and in most
cases I detect no difference in output.

Thanks,
jmc.
--
Take care in love or going to court - it's tricky.