[Groff] Something about mom & questions

From: Daniele F.
Subject: [Groff] Something about mom & questions
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:46:44 +0200

In these days I'm learning mom and I would like to write some
impressions (and questions of course... :-).

For some aspects it seems a sort of mini LaTeX for groff (and that's a
good thing) but differently from LaTeX it's tailored for non scientific
writers, like fiction writers, journalists or occasional writers of any
sort of documents.

It's has very good typesetting defaults too you can learn a couple of
macro names and make a good job without learning anything else.

Negative is, for me, the lack of explicit macros for listing: not only
occasional writers of business letters or documents need lists but for
ex. also science-fiction writers need macros to list instructions to
drive a starship... :-)

So I demand the author of mom to implement some (simple) system for
lists to complete the package. Sic! :-)
Something like:

LIST [NUMBER]
ITEM
text
ITEM
text
LIST OFF

That's for bullet or [NUMBER] listing...

I don't like very much the ALL CAPS names of macros but they can be
aliased or I can write them normally and then modifying them
with a line of sed or similar.

Last for a secondary question: for draft copies I usually put the $Id$
$or Revision$ tag of RCS somewhere in headers or footers, I can do the
same with mom putting for ex. the tag in DRAFT_STRING and moving draft
information in footer with page numbers: is it possible to have the
DRAFT macro _without_ a number and without anything else and print
_only_ the DRAFT_STRING? Tried but with no satisfaction...

I like to have a footer with page number and revision indicator like
this:

    $Revision: 1.12 $   / 7

and not like this one

    $Revision: 1.12 $ 1 / 7
                      ^
                      I don't want it! :-)

Thanx.

--
    Bye, DF.   <jbuss at Kaosmic Net>   *** FreeBSD & Red addict ***

"Eri nuda su Playboy
 Tu che non la davi mai"  (Timoria)

--
    Bye, DF.   <jbuss at Kaosmic Net>   *** FreeBSD & Red addict ***

"Confusion will be my epitaph"
 (King Crimson)