Re: [Groff] pound sign and mom letters

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] pound sign and mom letters
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:15:10 -0500

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-02-20 16:28:28 +0000 Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> >The order and placement of mom's letter headers follow a fairly
> >common convention for business correspondence (at least, common
> >in this neck of the woods), namely: date, top-right; addressee,
> >flush left; addresser, flush left.
>
> That's different positioning and totally the opposite order to
> England:

That's what I gathered from your original post.

> >    a) the freedom to input the various header fields in any order
> >       you like, and have mom output them in the same order
> >    b) the ability to override the default quad direction of any of
> >       those fields
>
> That would cover it, but .rj and .nf can do it anyway, so is it worth
> fixing?

Definitely.  I've rewritten the letter macros so that the header
fields can be entered in any order, per a).  By default, they're all
set flush left, with a single linespace between.  If a user wishes
to have any header set flush right, s/he need only input .RIGHT
immediately after the pertinent macro.

Additionally, users who've become accustomed to writing letters
with mom up till now won't have to change their habits.  If the
former, "fixed" order of entering letter headers is observed, mom
will continue to output them exactly as she did before.

I'm planning to make an update release that contains a few other
changes in a couple of days.  I'll notify the list when it happens.

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of _The Schumann Proof_, appearing fall, 2004
(pub. RendezVous Press, Canada)