RE: [Groff] Re: Hyphens and Dashes

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: RE: [Groff] Re: Hyphens and Dashes
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:06:12 -0500

At 05:25 p.m. 01/04/2004, Ted Harding wrote:
On 01-Apr-04 Jeff Conrad wrote:

> I agree with Alejandro's recommendation of the Chicago Manual of
> Style as an authoritative guide to U.S. practice.
> [...]
> I'd use the Chicago Manual with caution outside of the U.S.,

[snip]

For the UK you can hardly go wrong with "Hart's Rules for Compositors
and Readers at the University Press, Oxford".

[snip]

In what pertains to Spanish, the information is scattered here and there, but the authoritative source (and some of the recommendations are better than a Monty Python sketch ;-) is the "Ortografía de la Real Academia de la Lengua", available on-line from the R.A.E.'s web site (http://www.rae.es/) in PDF format.

A person who has done an admirable effort to rescue traditional Spanish (as in Castilian and Catalonian) typography with computers is Javier Bezos, his paper on Spanish typesetting included with LaTeX's multilingual typesetting package Babel is recommended reading, as well as perusing the papers available at his web site http://perso.wanadoo.es/jbezos/, particularly http://perso.wanadoo.es/jbezos/typo.html. Everything in Spanish, of course.

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/