[Groff] Refer problem in 1.19.1 (Failed assertion)

From: Christian Jensen
Subject: [Groff] Refer problem in 1.19.1 (Failed assertion)
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:47:24 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

Since I upgraded to the current CVS version I have had problems with the
refer preprocessor -- it fails when I try to process my thesis, which
contains many references. I have narrowed the problem down as much as I
can, but still get an error when processing the source file below and the
attached bibliography file. Running the command

        refer Chapter.me

results in the error

        refer: Failed assertion at line 1076, file `label.y'.
        Aborted

I can make the error disappear by commenting out either of the fields
"label" or "sort" -- but of course not without getting the wrong output.

It seems that the problem has to do with sorting multiple entries by the
same authors. Does anyone have an idea what might be going on.

Best,
Christian Jensen

(I used the current CVS version (1.19.1) of refer. The files (and my
thesis) can be processed without problems with version 1.18.1.)

.\"---- Chapter.me ----
.R1
no-default-database
database ./ref.bib
accumulate
reverse "A1"
abbreviate "AE"
label "(@|Q) ' ' (D.y%a*|D)"
bracket-label " (" ) ", "
sort "A+D1"
move-punctuation
.R2
.lp
This snippet of text demonstrates a problem with the refer
preprocessor in version 1.19.1 of groff.