Re: [Groff] actual standard of license

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Groff] actual standard of license
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:03:38 +0100

On 2004-05-14 12:09:51 +0100 Bernd Warken <address@hidden> wrote:

As the man pages of most GNU packages, such as emacs and cpp, still use the FDL I ask again whether we should really remove the FDL from the groff source?

Yes, you should. The present version of the FDL is not a free software licence. Some packages do not use the FDL, as I assume you have noticed because you wrote "most" above.

I would prefer to go on with FDL for most documents, but would also agree to restrict to GPL as single license for all files.

There seems no good reason to go on with the FDL yet. The only obvious difference to using the GPL for the electronic documentation is the ability to include invariant sections and that sort of thing is normally not allowed in free software.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.