Re: [Groff] German Umlaute, ISO-8859-1, postscript.

From: Bruno Hertz
Subject: Re: [Groff] German Umlaute, ISO-8859-1, postscript.
Date: 17 May 2004 00:18:26 +0200

On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 22:19, Jorgen Grahn wrote:

> This is maybe offtopic ... but the problem doesn't seem to be entirely your
> fault.  IMHO, either Redhat shouldn't make UTF-8 the default, or your vi
> clone is buggy. People do not expect their text files to *by default*
> contain anything other than one-octet-per-character text[0].
>
> BR,
> /Jörgen

Yeah, maybe. The UTF-8 default caused users trouble in various contexts,
which I learned during my hours of web searching today :)

The vi clone on the other hand is more of a port of the original BSD vi
and rather good as such, though not multibyte capable. But I essentially
knew this, since it's mentioned on the author's web site.

No, I must say I wasn't on top of things. Still, I now understood
something about i18n, and it's actually a pretty interesting subject.
That's the neat thing about Unix & friends - every single day there's
something new to learn :)

Thanks, Bruno.