Re: [Groff] groff 1.19.1 compile/installation failure

From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff 1.19.1 compile/installation failure
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:19:00 -0500

At 04:41 p.m. 17/05/2004, Larry Kollar wrote:
I suspect that making the makefiles work with non-GNU makes
would be a chore since they're built with configure (aka
GNU autoconf). But requiring bash, and requiring it to be
in /bin, is probably something that could be fixed.

Not really. They are a home grown system that comes from the times when Automake and libtool didn't exist. I did try recently to port the Makefile system to automake/libtool (because automake alone is a disaster and libtool cleans up the act), but didn't go too far. I'll need to read the documentation again at least five times before it sinks in, and cut my teeth with a smaller project.

There are problems with the autoconf script, no doubt. Under zsh it gives a weird error message:

- % ./configure --prefix=/usr
func_success failed.

And then churns away happily. This with zsh 4.02 under cygwin. If I use bash 2.05b as my shell, surprise!, no problems at all. I concede, zsh is *weird* and somewhat broken, but I love the command completion...