[Groff] Re: Hyphenation Character

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: Hyphenation Character
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 00:28:27 +0200 (CEST)

> Please don't misunderstand me. I don't think the choice of words in
> this explanation is bad.  I simply don't understand what a
> "hyphenation code" is.  I mean, after being hyphenated, the word
> contains the same characters as before this process.

Indeed, an explanation is missing.  I've modified the documentation of
the `hcode' request as follows.

 - Request: .hcode c1 code1 c2 code2 ...
     Set the hyphenation code of character C1 to CODE1, that of C2 to
     CODE2, etc.  A hyphenation code must be a single input character
     (not a special character) other than a digit or a space.

     To make hyphenation work, hyphenation codes must be set up.  At
     start-up, groff only assigns hyphenation codes to the letters
     `a'-`z' (mapped to themselves) and to the letters `A'-`Z' (mapped
     to `a'-`z'); all other hyphenation codes are set to zero.
     Normally, hyphenation patterns contain only lowercase letters
     which should be applied regardless of case.  With other words, the
     words `FOO' and `Foo' should be hyphenated exactly the same way as
     the word `foo' is hyphenated, and this is what `hcode' is good
     for.  Words which contain other letters won't be hyphenated
     properly if the corresponding hyphenation patterns actually do
     contain them.  For example, the following `hcode' requests are
     necessary to assign hyphenation codes to the letters `ÄäÖöÜüß'
     (this is needed for German):

          .hcode ä ä  Ä ä
          .hcode ö ö  Ö ö
          .hcode ü ü  Ü ü
          .hcode ß ß

     This request is ignored if it has no parameter.