Re: [Groff] Hi, some newbie questions.

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] Hi, some newbie questions.
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:06:34 -0500

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 02:45:50AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:

> - I do all my groff documents with vim because It was de only editor I
> found (well, Emacs too, but I found it too big for me). Is there other
> options? I'm happy with Vim, but I feel curious about; and I'll like
> to have some editor like gedit whit syntax when I browse my 'archives'
> not in a terminal.

I do all my writing, including books, using vim and groff, and I
find them to be the ideal writing combination--I wouldn't dream
of using anything else.  It sounds like what you're asking for is
something like Lyx, the TeX wysiwyg front end.  As far as I know
there is nothing like this for groff, and really, why would you
want one?  If you want wysiwyg, there's Word or open office
(shudder).

As far as vim versus emacs/xemacs goes, that's one of the
standard religious questions for which there can be no answer.
Use whatever feels right for you and makes you the most
productive.  They both produce pure ASCII so you can try them
both or even use them interchangeably until you decide which you
like best.

There are other editors, of course, and those that use them
presumably like them, but most serious programmers and groff
users that I know use either emacs/xemacs or vim.  Really, any
editor that you feel comfortable with is fine.  I really like the
vim syntax highlighting for groff, but again, it's really a
personal matter.

jcs