Re: [Groff] DESC question

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] DESC question
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:05:48 +0100 (CET)

> thebeast:/usr/src/groff-1.19.1# groff
> groff: can't find `DESC' file
> groff:fatal error: invalid device `ps'
>
> The groff on my Debian system is 1.18.1 and the groff I compiled is
> 1.19.1.  I compiled the new groff statically, could that be a
> problem?  Is this a bug, or do I need to set up a DESC file?

As shown in the `FILES' section in groff_font(5) and the section
`groff Font Directory' of groff(1), groff expects for version X.Y.Z
that the font files are located in

  <prefix>/share/groff/X.Y.Z/font/devname/DESC
  <prefix>/share/groff/X.Y.Z/font/devname/F

(normally, <prefix> is /usr/local or /usr).  This can be overridden
with the -F command line option of groff.