Re: [Groff] ubuntu, groff and utf-8

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] ubuntu, groff and utf-8
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 06:38:31 +0100 (CET)

> > This is correct, unfortunately.  groff doesn't yet support UTF8
> > input.
>
> But, it's something impossible to implement, or just it isn't
> interesting?

I want to do this since years, but there are always more important
things to do :-( Reason is that I'm involved in more than a single
project...

Any volunteer to start?  It would already be of great help if someone
takes src/roff/groff/input.cpp and replaces the relevant `char' and
`int' with a new typedef `Char' or something similar to indicate that
the variable represents an input character.  Later on `Char' can be
completely widened to a signed 32bit entity which easily covers the
complete Unicode range.  Internal character codes (like
ESCAPE_AMPERSAND) then simply get negative values.