Re: [Groff] funding for groff hacking?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] funding for groff hacking?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:28:09 -0500

One thing I would like to see is the original AT&T docs brought into
alignment with the current groff.  I think it is an embarrassment that
the groff docs aren't in roff, that's like using CVS to store the sources
to Subversion, it doesn't say much for our faith in groff.

I've been threatening to take a crack at that myself. The old texi2roff utility can do some of the work, although for a manual the size of the groff doc, the results were rather ugly. Some of the PDF extraction/reformatting scripts I've written for other projects might be more useful here.

Once we have the docs back the next thing is to integrate into the original
docs all of the old and new groff extensions.  I think groff is much
under appreciated.

Are you saying, incorporate the AT&T docs into the GNU-troff manual where we don't have text written already? Or am I missing something?

One thing I'm trying to track down & document is whether there are Free replacements for each of the 80 or so utilities making up the old DWB, either drop-in or "close enough." Some of the utilities are more or less obsolete or unnecessary nowadays, but it would be nice to have a list showing everything useful is available.

Another thing I'd like to see is widows/orphans processing, it is so annoying
to have to do that by hand.

That might already be done or do-able.... See
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2004-03/msg00124.html
The patch I mentioned in the referenced message was added to the source tree IIRC. Some macro hacking might be required to completely implement the feature.
--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"