Re: [Groff] pic bug between 1.18.1 and 1.19.x

From: Zvezdan Petkovic
Subject: Re: [Groff] pic bug between 1.18.1 and 1.19.x
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:49:07 -0400

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 10:29:44PM -0400, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
> Werner, you know the best why the change was made in the first place.
> Do you find this fix correct?  Is it safe to assume it won't spoil other
> things?

Hmm.  Since reset_colors() is called from finish_picture() it seems to
be changing at least one of my documents.  A picture is at the bottom
and a paragraph on the next page starts with a gap at the top of the
page.  Must be related to \c in the patch.

On the other hand present.tmac uses \c at the end of .COLOR P request
(to return to previous color),

        \\m[\\*[gp-color]]\c

and at the end of .PAUSE request.

        \X'ps: exec %%%%PAUSE'\c

The author of gpresent says that they are necessary.

I tried removing \c and it _seems_ that, on my examples, it helps (with
unpatched groff-1.19.2pre).  I'm not sure I wouldn't have trouble with
something else without that \c, though.

Removing \c from the PAUSE is a disaster.

The point is present.tmac works fine with 1.18.x.
The change in troff.cpp in 1.19.x causes the trouble.
My fix works, but it apparently can spoil other things.
Why the old way with .sp -1 doesn't work any more?

I'm giving up on this for tonight.
I hope some explanations will be on the list when I wake up. :-)

P.S.  In the document mentioned at the top, first page is screwed with
my patch or without it.  I'll try to extract a minimal example and send
it as a new thread.

Best regards,

        ZP