[Groff] Weird problem; .ig is not ignored

From: Jörgen Grahn
Subject: [Groff] Weird problem; .ig is not ignored
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:14:15 +0200

Hi,

I've seen this feature for a while (maybe since groff 1.19.1?  At least it
exists in the current CVS.) in one document I have, but assumed it was my
fault. Now that I look into it, it seems more like a groff bug.

The boiled-down example:

.\" -*- nroff -*-
.
.ig
.nr LL 100n
.nr PO .7i
.po \n(POu
.nr PI 3n
This part (from the .ig above to the .. line below) should be ignored.
Surely that applies to the .nr request, too?
..
.
Example text, example text, example text, example text, example text,
example text, example text, example text, example text, example text,
example text, example text.

If I typeset this with 'groff -ms', I get the example text with no left
margin.  It seems at least some of the .nr or .po requests are executed even
though they are inside '.ig' ... '..'.

If I remove the .ig section (and its contents), I get a margin which seems
to be the -ms default and all is well.

Or have I misunderstood the .ig request completely?

BR,
Jörgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn       "Koka lopplummer, bada Ross, loppor borta."
\X/ <address@hidden>                                   -- Jonas