Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:19:11 +0200 (CEST)

> Since I first saw this technique, in Tadziu's own `tmac.diss'
> documentation, I've been toying with ideas on how I might adapt it
> for `pdfroff'.  I'd actually like to engineer the concept directly
> into groff itself.  [...]

I'm not convinced that this is the right way.  For example, it is
recommended today not to call LaTeX directly but to use texi2dvi or a
similar script (or using an IDE like AUCTeX) which decently runs the
(la)tex program as often as needed, together with all the necessary
postprocessors like BibTeX or makeindex.

> I'd be willing to work on such an implementation, in parallel with
> ongoing development of `pdfroff' and `pdfmark.tmac', if there is any
> interest in pursuing the concept further.

Please compare your proposal with the (IMHO simpler) approach of
running groff multiple times.  I'd really like to see pdfroff as an
equivalent to texi2dvi.