[Groff] Re: Introduction

From: D. E. Evans
Subject: [Groff] Re: Introduction
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 06:16:21 -0600 (MDT)

   D. E. Evans wrote:
   > I agree.  However, as a GNU program, GNU users are going to
   > automatically look at info, not man...

   Says who?  I'm a GNU/Linux user, and I will go for the man page
   first, every time.

The GNU OS developer guidelines are explicit in demanding info as
the default, and in suggesting that man pages may not be suitable
for a project.  Since groff is a GNU project, its priority is GNU
OS, *then* portability to a other operating systems.  Though rms
may object to the following distinction, in your mention of
Linux, I wonder if you are running GNU/Linux, or perhaps Redhat
Linux (or Gentoo, or Slackware, or any other variation), where
man pages are used instead of the GNU default: info.

So again, a *GNU* user will be looking to info everytime, not a
man page.  As a BSD user, I would look to a man page everytime,
since man is the default for BSD (as for any other UNIX platform).
The irony of groff as a GNU project is not lost on me.