RE: [Groff] u1D53C glyph

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] u1D53C glyph
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:56:40 -0000 (GMT)

On 16-Nov-05 Fabrice Ménard wrote:
> Hi, all !
>
> I need the glyph E open face (u1D53C) for a math doc.
> Does anyone know a good font containing this one and how to set it up
> with  grops ?
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> Fabrice Ménard
> address@hidden

Once, for similar reasons, I set up a whole open=face font (using
Helvetica-BoldOblique as a base), on the same principles as used in
groff for the SS and ZDR fonts: the .pfa file for the font
simply contains PS code the give the outlines of the glyphs,
not filled.

Working in the .../font/devps directory, the relevant PS code
(in my file "openI.pfa) is

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 Resource-Font
%%DocumentNeededResources: font Helvetica-Bold-Italic
%%DocumentNeededResources: font Helvetica-BoldOblique

/makeoutlinedict 7 dict def
/MakeOutlineFont
{ makeoutlinedict begin
  /uniqueid exch def
  /strokewidth exch def
  /newfontname exch def
  /basefontname exch def
  /basefontdict basefontname findfont def
  /numentries basefontdict maxlength 1 add def
  basefontdict /UniqueID known not
  { /numentries numentries 1 add def } if
  /outfontdict numentries dict def
  basefontdict
  { exch dup /FID ne
    { exch outfontdict 3 1 roll put }
    { pop pop }
    ifelse
  } forall
  outfontdict /FontName newfontname put
  outfontdict /PaintType 2 put
  outfontdict /StrokeWidth strokewidth put
  outfontdict /UniqueID uniqueid put
  newfontname outfontdict definefont pop
  end
} def

%%IncludeResource: font Helvetica-BoldOblique
/Helvetica-BoldOblique /openI 1000 54 div
/Helvetica-BoldOblique findfont dup /UniqueID known
{ /UniqueID get 1 add }
{ pop 1 }
ifelse
MakeOutlineFont

The whole thing happens in the "outfontdict /PaintType 2 put"
line.

I then simply copied the "HBI" font to file "openI",
so as to get the font metrics etc, changing the first two
lines to

name openI
internalname openI

Then (just as for SS and ZDR) I added an entry to the
"download" file. After that, the font is available and
can be used by giving \f[openI] and so forth.

So you can do similar, with whatever font you choose
as base, giving the result whatever name you like.

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861