[Groff] Re: preconv supported encodings

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: [Groff] Re: preconv supported encodings
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:29:02 +0100

Hi Werner,

> > If I were you, I would start with the following set; comment out the
> > other entries of emacs_to_mime entries; and comment them in on
> > demand only.
> >
> >   US-ASCII
> >   ISO-8859-1       (for English, Spanish, Norwegian etc.)
> >   ISO-8859-2       (for Hungarian etc.)
> >   ISO-8859-5       (for Serbian etc.)
> >   ISO-8859-7       (for Greek)
> >   ISO-8859-9       (for Turkish)
> >   ISO-8859-13      (for Latvian etc.)
> >   ISO-8859-15      (for French, German, etc.)
> >   KOI8-R           (for Russian)
> >   EUC-JP           (for Japanese)
> >   GB18030          (for simplified Chinese)
> >   UTF-8            (for all others)
>
> Well, Big5 should probably be used too, together with EUC-KR.

Big5 is not a good candidate to support here, because there are many
variants of Big5 and none of it is formally standardized. See
http://www.haible.de/bruno/charsets/conversion-tables/Big5.html .
If you want to support an encoding for traditional Chinese, it should
be CP950; its variants differ only in minor details, not as heavily
as the Big5 variants.

EUC-KR is not needed: Korean users migrated to Unicode quite early,
several years ago, because EUC-KR is missing about half of the characters
needed for proper support of Korean. (CP949 has these characters, as does
Unicode. But CP949 is a Windows encoding; noone uses it on Unix.)

> I'll also retain the code for UTF-16 nd UTF-32.

Sure.

Bruno