[Groff] hyphenation and encoding - was: Composed glyphs - quick and dirt

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: [Groff] hyphenation and encoding - was: Composed glyphs - quick and dirty solution
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:54:55 +0300 (MSK)

Dear Werner,

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

PS. I did not quite follow the developments in hyphenation support.
    What has to be done to, say, russian hyphentaion file to adapt
    it to the next groff version?

Currently, there are no changes w.r.t. hyphenation.  Just take, say,
ruhyphal.tex and use a bunch of .hpfcode lines to map its koi-8
encoding to iso-8859-5.  Then set up iso-8859-5 as the input encoding
as usual.
Why?
Why "a bunch" of .hpfcode lines?
It seems groff(7) and groff_diff(7) disagree about argument(s) of hpfcode.
If we are 8 bit - why to setup iso-8859-5 as input encoding and not koi8?
And how can it be done? There are files for koi8 and cp1251 input (ones with lot of trins), but no such file for 8859-5. Thus 8859-5 input does not look usual. What about hcode?

Can UTF or groff names uXXXX be used for hcode and hyphenation files?

               Sincerely, Michail

PS It is koi8-*, not koi-8!
There is a society in US hunting down "it's" used instead of "its"
and asking people to fix their texts.
A campaign against "koi-8" makes no sense, but only because UTF is coming.

- Dad, is it spelled "adress" or "addres"?
- URL!