Re: [Groff] gtroff & soelim don't recognize ~ in paths

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] gtroff & soelim don't recognize ~ in paths
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:26:05 +0200 (CEST)

> Ditto. Environment variables too. Everything valid to the shell, should
> be valid to groff.

You are joking, aren't you?

> Why? User convenience. Shouldn't this be consideration No 1?

You might provide a patch to groff.info which mentions that ~ does get
expanded...

> Slight problems: which shell, what OS?

Exactly, and see also the other mail why it might fail.

> E.g. integer arithmetic etc is a relic from an age long gone, it
> would be so nice to say good bye to it.

Hmm.  Nelson Beebe would raise a lot of objections.  He regularly
tests floating point packages and implementations whether they follow
the IEEE standards, and there are still far too many which don't.
Since this has already been discussed recently I ask you too look up
the archive.