[Groff] Need some troubleshooting help

From: m hobgood
Subject: [Groff] Need some troubleshooting help
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:18:25 -0500

I've a wierd problem I'm trying to track down. Hopefully my explanation will make sense. First, some software versions:
MacIntosh OS X version 10.4.5 running groff 1.19.1 and gv 3.6.1
Linux Slackware version 10.2 with a 2.4.29 kernel, groff 1.17.2 and gv 3.5.8
The printing mechanism on the Linux box is LPRng version 3.9.0
with ifhp-3.5.11

I create a simple troff document on my MacIntosh. The document uses no macros and does nothing fancy, just prints a single line. When I groff it on the Mac and produce postscript output, gv displays it correctly and it will print from gv. However, if I transfer the postscript file to my Linux box, it will not print from gv, though it does display correctly. If I transfer the source document and groff
it on the Linux box, then it will print from gv.

The only clues I've got are the difference in the postscript output produced on the two machines and their different printing mechanisms. From what I can gather, the printing mechanism on the Linux box may not like the postscript it is being fed. I'm gathering that from the fact that the HP 4050 laserjet will flash the data light once when the Mac produced file is attempting to print, then it goes off and the laserjet displays that the job is done. This leads me to believe that the problem may be with the ifhp settings and this is a weak area for me.

I've attached a diff of the postscript output. Any help is greatly appreciated.