Re: <OK> RE: [Groff] making tbl created tables fit on the paper

From: M Bianchi
Subject: Re: <OK> RE: [Groff] making tbl created tables fit on the paper
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 10:18:30 -0400

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 12:02:02PM +0100, Ted Harding wrote:
> On 04-Jul-06 Gabriel Diaz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I wonder what kind tricks you use to make big tables that goes beyond
> > the paper defined boundaries fit on the paper.
> >
> > How you mangae to fit them? Just changin the point size?
>
> That, and other things! You can use the numeric flag to reduce
> the "blank space" (default = 3n) between columns. For example
>
> .TS
> l2 l2 l.
>       :

Also the  w  parameter lets you force things to particular widths.
For example, when I format parts list for FAX I do so in a larger font.
The table would be too large, so I reduce the width of the Description column.
The  ColumnWidth  is a string so the  i  (inch) scale is preserved.
Example:

        '\"     .ds IS_FAX      '\" Uncomment this line to add FAX markings
        .ds ColumnWidth 3.50i
        .if dIS_FAX  .S 12
        .if dIS_FAX  .ds ColumnWidth 3.0i
                :
        .TS
        center box;
        c | c | cw(\*[ColumnWidth]) | c | c
        n   n   l                     n   n.
        Item    Quantity        Description     Each    Amount

--
 Mike Bianchi