Re: [Groff] Re: unicode support, part 14: unicode fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: unicode support, part 14: unicode fonts
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 10:03:56 +0200 (CEST)

> FWIW, I've been (rightly) under pressure for a while to update
> Debian's groff, but have found it very difficult to forward-port the
> notorious Debian Japanese patch;

Forward-porting this patch is not useful, I think.  If you really want
to spend more time please implement glyph class support as mentioned
on this list a longer time ago so that we can easily add glyph
properties for whole ranges.

What about creating a new package, say, groff-jp, which provides an
older version of groff together with the Japanese patch?  `man' could
then call groff-jp to format Japanese man pages, and a more recent
version of groff for everything else.