Re: [Groff] explicit hyphen and numbers

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] explicit hyphen and numbers
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 00:11:05 +0200

> BTW, in German, AFAIK, you should use `-', not \[en].

Are you sure about this?  I just checked a few examples
(real books, so I assume these were created by professional
typesetters) both old (letterpress stuff, yay!) and new, and
they all use the en dash (or, in an old book, something longer,
like a 3/4-em dash) for number ranges (page ranges when citing
journal articles or year ranges like "Platon (429--348)").