[Groff] Using Printer "Jogging" with groff

From: Deri James
Subject: [Groff] Using Printer "Jogging" with groff
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:02:56 +0000

Hello,

I have been trying to get printer "jogging" to work from within groff. The
print bureau have told me I just need to insert this code on the page which I
need "jogged":-

%%BeginFeature: *Jog
<< /Jog 3 >> setpagedevice
%%EndFeature

so I set up two macros:-

        .de Jogger3
        ps: exec
        %%BeginFeature: *Jog
        << /Jog 3 >> setpagedevice
        %%EndFeature
        ..
        .de Jogger0
        ps: exec
        %%BeginFeature: *Jog
        << /Jog 0 >> setpagedevice
        %%EndFeature
        ..

which I use by:-

        \Y[Jogger3]

and

        \Y[Jogger0]

as appropriate.

This seems to produce Postscript output like this:-

        %%Page: 1 1
        %%BeginPageSetup
        BP
        %%EndPageSetup
        1.05 34.8 EBEGIN
        %%BeginFeature: *Jog
        << /Jog 3 >> setpagedevice
        %%EndFeature
        EEND

The print bureau tell me that when they print this document, although it jogs
correctly, each line on the page with "jog" commands embedded comes out
reversed. (i.e. text printed right to left - and in the wrong orientation -
this was a landscape A4 document.)

Incidentally ghostscript 8.15 barfs on the above postscript, but if I enclose
the snippet within '[{' and '} stopped cleartomark' gs displays it fine but
the printer still fails.

Just wondered if someone had solved a similar problem using 'setpagedevice'.

Cheers

Deri