Re: [Groff] Re: Simplifying groff documentation

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Simplifying groff documentation
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 10:55:31 -0500

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

.... I would say a program that
claims to read manual pages is broken enough to be irrelevant
if it cannot at least handle

  .br .fi .nf .sp .ig .in .ti

Doclifter might fail that test.  It ignores .in and .ti, because
I don't know any way to extract structural information from them.

Taking a brief look at the manpages on my computer, .in and .ti
primarily appear in examples (see unzip.1) or nested lists
(see tcpdump.1). Looking at tcpdump, I expect that it would
give doclifter fits as well.

Anyway, .nf/.fi would almost always signal a listing or some
kind of example, and any .in/.ti appearing in between could be
safely ignored.

Another construct I found in my quick perusal looks like:

  .LP
  .ti +8
  \fBsome error message\fP

The amount of indent isn't important, which is fortunate since
it varies from manpage to manpage. But it looks like .in/.ti can
help to derive structure if doclifter (as I expect it does) can
look at more than just one request/macro at a time.

-- Larry