Re: [Groff] The case against the case against .EX/.EE & .DS/.DE

From: Gunnar Ritter
Subject: Re: [Groff] The case against the case against .EX/.EE & .DS/.DE
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:48:57 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > We definitely need a good guide for writing man pages, based on
> > > our discussion -- something like a man-to-html.howto.  This guide
> > > should contain (as an appendix) those macro definitions which a
> > > man writer can then simply copy and paste.
> >
> > How about creating a SourceForge project to host this?
>
> Good idea.  However, it rather sounds like a Wiki project

I disagree. A Wiki neither has proper versioning nor is the
content intended to be exported and reformatted. It is thus
unsuitable for writing proper documents.

> -- something
> SourceForge doesn't support yet nicely, AFAIK.  This could be done
> within the groff wiki quite easily:
>
>   http://www.groff-wiki.info/

The site does not even purport to independent from groff.

As I said, I am willing to contribute, but only to a serious
project - an implementation-independent document with an editor,
releases, and textual source code in a version control system
- do not expect me to spend my time with Wiki fiddling.

        Gunnar