[Groff] doclifter on groffer.man

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: [Groff] doclifter on groffer.man
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:34:18 +0100

In <top-groff-source>/contrib/groffer/perl, I called
  doclifter groffer.man
and got the following error message:

"groffer.man", line 32: error: attempt to alias undefined name
groffer:Shell_cmd_base.prompt_font\"
"groffer.man", line 33: error: attempt to alias undefined name
groffer:Shell_cmd.prompt_text\"
"groffer.man", line 34: error: attempt to alias undefined name
groffer:Shell_cmd+.prompt_text\"
"groffer.man", line 1, expanding Synopsis: error: bogus-looking expression
(\n[groffer:Synopsis.level]
\$*
User Abort
"groffer.man", line 2, expanding Error: error: exception exceptions.SystemExit
on: .  ab
doclifter: internal error

This error message is quite dull:
1) The line numbers are wrong.
2) It complains about alias definitions for "undefined names".  But all of
these variables
where set before.  Either doclifter cannot detect the comment sign \" or is not
able to
handle long variable names.

`doclifter' should be fixed to handle this correctly.  I cannot detect any
necessity for a
"safe" list.  I will not fall back to the old scheme of 2 letter variable names.

Bernd Warken