Re: [Groff] Choosing a portability target

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: [Groff] Choosing a portability target
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:36:13 +1100

On 2007.01.11 12:06 Eric S. Raymond wrote:
The groff project -- and I'm not sure what that means,
other than "Werner Lemburg" -- is going to have to
decide how much portability it wants.  There's a sort
of sliding scale of difficulty here.

I have sat and watched this debate, which has sometimes become unnecessarily acrimonious, without intervening until now -- but I cannot hold my tongue any longer.

I live in awe of the extraordinary work done by Werner, particularly when one considers that he holds down a "proper" job. But, Eric, your quoted remark is incorrect and insulting, and plain downright bitchy. You are acting like a spoiled child.

Up until you started ranting on as if you were the only sane person in a world of idiots this list was a model of decorum and co-operation. There are **many** people who have made, and continue to make, valuable contibutions to the groff project; a fact that Werner has acknowledged more than once.

Really, Eric, is it necessary for you to upset everybody. No wonder you got chucked off the kernel project.

Robert Thorsby