Re: [Groff] Re: papersize.tmac - dimensions incorrect for executive pape

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: papersize.tmac - dimensions incorrect for executive paper
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 14:04:43 -0600

Go with 10 x 7.25 inches.  Some use 7.5 width, and some use 10.5
or 10.55 length with either 7.25 or 7.5 width.  I don't know the
origins of these, but it appears to have something to do with
folding and envelope sizes.  Some mailings are smaller than 8.5
x 11 inches, with smaller envelopes, making it a pain to use those
envelopes with standard letter-size paper.  Some companies even
supply 7.3 x 10.5 paper as an "executive" size.

If you use the 10 x 7.25 dimension, you'll be safe in any
application I can think of.  That seems to be the most
common of the various combinations used by various entities.
I am unaware of any "industry standard" value.

Clarke

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
lines 97,98:
.  ds paper-executive-length 10i
.  ds paper-executive-width 7.5i

these dimensions are incorrect;
the correct values are:
.  ds paper-executive-length 10.5i
.  ds paper-executive-width 7.25i

Hmm, I've now seen three different definitions of the `executive'
format:

  10    x 7.5  -> http://www.littlebit.com/general_info/papersize.htm
  10.55 x 7.25 -> http://www.prepressure.com/library/papersizes.htm
  10.5  x 7.25 -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_sizes