RE: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??

From: Frank Jahnke
Subject: RE: [Groff] eqn plugin for MS Word??
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:45:23 -0700

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 08:31 +0100, address@hidden wrote:

> > Is anyone aware of a eqn plugin for Word?  Or something like it?
> >

> Also, WordPerfect had a text-based equation editor which was very
> close to basic eqn, and produced excellent results (as far as it
> went). I used to write a lot of heavy maths stuff in WordPerfect.
> I don't know how (or indeed whether) WordPerfect stands these days.

This has turned out to be the best option.  I installed a copy of
WordPerfect 2000 I had laying around, composed an equation, and saved it
as a WP5.1 file.  Word reads it in perfectly (no pun intended) and it
can further be edited with the Word Equation editor.  This is important,
since the journal really does want it in this format.

Now this took installing a lot of different filters (and the Equation
Editor) in both Word and WP, and that was a pain since my virtual
machine cannot read my CD drive at the moment.  It also took some
fiddling with export-import types.  The equation as it is set is also
not as nice as what eqn does.  But I will let the editors worry about
that.

Not a "perfect" solution, but it does allow me to use a syntax very
close to eqn and get acceptable results.  It also saves $100 from the
usual solution.

Thanks all for you assistance.

Frank