Re: [Groff] gkurz, a short introduction for german users

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] gkurz, a short introduction for german users
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 01:21:35 +0200 (CEST)

> Start a new sentence at a new line (is this a "law" or just a good
> idea?)

It's a good idea.  Additionally, there's a difference between

    foo. bar

and

    foo.  bar

The latter is the usual style with, say, emacs, so that it can easily
find the end of a sentence (using a regular expression for searching)
without stopping at abbreviations.  With groff, you should do this too
(this is, using two spaces after a full stop indicating a sentence
ending) -- the second space is handled specially; cf. the
documentation of the `.ss' request.

> .mso de.tmac is preferred over -m de. I can understand that, thus
> you don't have to fiddle with the command line.

Just think of the `man' program or `mc': Those programs have a fixed
calling sequence of groff.  How shall these programs know that the
document's language is German?